Sunday, October 28, 2012

Jesus said, "What do you want Me to do for you?"

So they called the blind man, saying to him, "Take courage; get up, he is calling you." He threw aside his cloak, sprang up, and came to Jesus.  Jesus said to him in reply, "What do you want me to do for you?" The blind man replied to him, "Master, I want to see." Jesus told him, "Go your way; your faith has saved you." Immediately he received his sight and followed him on the way. (Mark 10:49-52)

My pastor put the question to us, "What do you want Jesus to do for you?  He's asking, and in a few minutes He is going to come in Communion to give it to you."  Our pastor asked the Lord for a good memory.  He shared that when he forgets things - like his mom's birthday - he gets in trouble.  When he forgets how blessed his life has been, how good God has been to him, it's then that life's challenges start to cause him anxiety.  He wants a good memory to look back on all the ways God has blessed and protected him in the past, so that he can face the present moment with peace.

I thought it would take some serious reflection to know what to ask Jesus for, but it didn't.  Before Mass I had been talking to Jesus about my weaknesses and the petition that jumped to mind - well, more like a series of petitions, one building upon the other - was "Lord, I want to see myself and the world with Your eyes.  I want to have Your will so that I can commit myself to doing what is good.  I want Your heart to truly love the people in my life the way You want.  I can't do it on my own.  I want You to live in me."  And when I received Jesus in Communion I invited Him to do just that, to give me His strength go home and do the work I needed to do, the way He wanted me to.  (It was a "laundry list" kind of day.)

So friends, what about you?  Jesus is asking, "What do you want me to do for you?"  What do you really need?

No comments:

Post a Comment