Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Eucharist in the Crib


Compliments of Google Images and a little time spent in MS Paint
In four days we will celebrate Jesus' birth in the city of Bethlehem, an event prophesied some 700 years before by the Prophet Micah"But you, O Bethlehem Eph'rathah, who are little to be among the clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel, whose origin is from of old, from ancient days" (Micah 5:2).  

But have you ever read the meaning of the name Bethlehem?  "House of Bread."  And we are told that when Jesus was born, He was laid in a manger, a feeding trough for animals.  The Eucharist - the truth that Jesus gives Himself to us as the Bread of Life - was announced there in the Cave of the Nativity!

"For My flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.  He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in me, and I in him.  As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me will live because of Me."  (Jn. 6:55-57)

No comments:

Post a Comment