Saturday, July 27, 2013

"SHARKNADO" - Helping Kids Learn the Bible

I have never been one to go in for versions of the Bible (like the Good News Bible) that paraphrase instead of interpret God's Word.  I don't want someone's attempt at putting God's Word into modern slang; I want it as close to the original languages as possible.  But last night I viewed SyFy's "SHARKNADO" (yes, it really should be spelled in all caps), and my life was forever changed.  I understand why it has gripped popular culture in such a powerful way and am convinced that millenia from now human beings will still be viewing and learning from it, much as we today continue to study the Iliad and Odyssey.

I think Bible translators can seize upon this to bring the Bible home to young people in a dynamic way.  My modest suggestion?  Change the word "locust" to "SHARKS."  It communicates the gravity of plagues in a new way.  Check it out:

Exodus 10:3-6

Moses and Aaron went in to Pharaoh, and said to him, “Thus says the Lord, the God of the Hebrews, ‘How long will you refuse to humble yourself before me? Let my people go, that they may serve me. For if you refuse to let my people go, behold, tomorrow I will bring SHARKS into your country, and they shall cover the face of the land, so that no one can see the land; and they shall eat what is left to you after the hail, and they shall eat every tree of yours which grows in the field, and they shall fill your houses, and the houses of all your servants and of all the Egyptians.’”

Revelation 9:2-4

… he opened the shaft of the bottomless pit, and from the shaft rose smoke like the smoke of a great furnace, and the sun and the air were darkened with the smoke from the shaft.  Then from the smoke came SHARKS on the earth, and they were given power like the power of scorpions of the earth;  they were told not to harm the grass of the earth or any green growth or any tree, but only those of mankind who have not the seal of God upon their foreheads. 
And look at how even more hardcore the Baptist appears:
Mark 1:6

Now John was clothed with camel’s hair, and had a leather girdle around his waist, and ate SHARKS and wild honey.
I know, pretty powerful stuff.   If you're not on board, I simply dare you to watch "SHARKNADO," and then tell me this isn't a stroke of genius.


No comments:

Post a Comment