Thursday, August 30, 2012

Just Read It!

A couple of years ago I had the honor of interviewing Bert Ghezzi about his new book, Adventures in Daily Prayer; and he shared something about his pastor.  Week after week his priest drove the importance of  Bible reading home to his parishioners: "No Bible, no breakfast!  No Bible, no bed!"  I have to admit though, I slacked off.  I reference the Bible constantly when I'm writing, and I have the gospel reading for each day delivered electronically to my in-box; but I haven't been nourishing myself with God's word the way I did earlier in my life.  Two things have helped to change that:  1) a good reminder from my friend Gary Zimack that I passed along here on the blog, and 2) starting my son on a study of the Matthew.

All of these things have caused me to renew a practice from my teen years:  reading the Bible when I climb into bed at night.  And it is awesome.  I'm not reading to research or to learn something new.  I'm just "looking at" and listening to Jesus, and I can't help but stand awe of Him, and fall more deeply in love with Him.  It's so easy to do too.  Grab your Bible, a book light, and end the day in the best way possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment